Signs & Symptoms of Overtraining

I am only about 4 weeks away from running the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C. and I should be at the peak of my training. I've logged the miles and I do feel that I'm ready, but just as I need to be finishing up one last 20 plus mile training run, I've caught a cold (or something). Anyway, I just don't feel well and it's irritating me that I'm not out there on the road. Of course, I'd rather be sick now than on the day of the race. I don't think that I've been overtraining, but being sick did bring it to mind. Below, I've listed some symptoms of overtraining. If you're physically exerting yourself day after day and you have some these symptoms, it may be time to listen to what your body is saying.


-Consistently feeling tired all day long
-Your normal pace feels harder than normal
-Your resting pulse is higher than normal for more than a few days
-Constant aches, pains, and injuries
-You have cold, flu-like symptoms, sore throat, etc. more frequently
-Irritability
-Loss of appetite
-Trouble sleeping
-Loss of enthusiasm for running

Written by: Genie Bianchi, RRCA Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment