Rants of a Runner

A few days ago, I took advantage of this crisp fall weather, and went out for a 10 mile run. The day was beautiful, I felt great, and I ran fast. I was listening to my music and minding my business when at about mile 7, a runner (male) came out of nowhere and was running directly across the street from me. Why is it that I have to be so competetive? Most of you know what I'm talking about (Runners are crazy like that). Rather than let this guy pass me, I sped up and tried to keep pace with him. I don't think I would have reacted the same if it were a female runner. I probably would have just waved like usual, but because it was a guy, I needed to see if I could keep pace. When you spend most of your runs alone, you tend to come up with little games to play with yourself. This was a game for me...heck, this guy didn't even acknowledge I was there. So there I went, pumping arms like crazy, huffing and puffing, (up a hill, no less). I knew I wasn't going to be able to hold it for very long, but I did for at least a couple minutes. At the top of the hill he gradually broke away from me, never even looking back. Me, on the other hand, my legs were burning!! But I felt great...I had challenged myself and threw in a nice little sprint when I wasn't expecting it. Today I'm paying for my bravado just a little...my left shin is very tender. But I'll do it again on the next run, I'm sure. So thank you, unknown runner, your presence (or maybe my own neurotic mind) challenged me to push myself harder.

Written by: Genie Bianchi

No comments:

Post a Comment